The Best Open Patella Knee Sleeve for Pain
Knee pain is a common complaint amongst people of all ages. Knee pain presents itself as a result of injury, such as a torn cartilage or a ruptured ligament, or by way of medical conditions, such as arthritis and/or gout. Discomfort stemming from knee pain can often be lessened with self-care measures, such as using an open patella knee sleeve.
What is an Open Patella Knee Sleeve?
A compression knee sleeve with an open patella will relieve knee pressure and offer extra support for your knee cap while still allowing for proper and comfortable movement. The open patella compression sleeve will satisfy anyone who can benefit from reduced stress on the joints while engaging in strenuous activities, such as playing sports, and also anyone who has issues with arthritis, such as the elderly.
Alternatively, one also has the option to wear a Closed Patella Knee Sleeve, which offers compression at the knee cap as well as the rest of the knee. The Closed Patella Knee Sleeve offers additional support in comparison to the open patella design by way of a continuous tube of supportive material for the entire knee area.
Open Patella vs Closed Patella Compression Sleeve?
Things to consider while choosing between an open patella and a closed patella knee sleeve include airflow and compression. The open patella design for more airflow compared to the Closed Patella Knee Sleeve, but it may also offer less compression.
One main difference maybe for those that have patella arthritis, Chondromalacia, or any patella fat pad inflammation. The close knee compression sleeve does cause more compressive forces on the knee cap which may be less comfortable for some wearers.
It is important to know what will satisfy your needs more, as you likely will not find a compression sleeve that will address these two issues sufficiently all in one knee sleeve.
Who Would Benefit from a Compression Knee Sleeve?
Although many different people benefit from using a compression knee sleeve with an open patella, here is a list of those who would benefit the most:
What to Look for in a Knee Sleeve?
- Material – One thing to consider when searching for your knee compression sleeve is material. Many are made with neoprene, which will repel water and sweat. Some, however, will contain additional material(s) that offer special benefits, such as N-TexTM, which supports therapeutic warmth and healing.
- Amount of Compression – the product offers you. The more compression, the higher the amount of support, but this also means less mobility. The ability to clean the knee compression sleeve should also be considered, especially if you plan to wear it during vigorous activities.
- Durability – is an important factor when choosing a knee compression sleeve. As with any product, you want to get as much use out of it as you can. Make sure that the products can survive the washing maching because it doesn’t take long for these to start smelling like a locker room.
How to Measure for a Knee Compression Sleeve
The Best Open Patella Knee Sleeve
McDavid Open Patella Knee Compression Sleeve
The McDavid Compression Knee Sleeve compression sleeve provides support that will last you all day with a comfortable fit that will repel water, sweat, and oil due to being made by high-quality neoprene material. Comfort is also ensured by the product’s 5-needle stitch, which provides a cleaner, flatter, and stronger seam that will not irritate your skin. The sleeve also has a four-way stretch material, which brings heat to your tired muscles and helps them regain vitality via compression, which also boosts muscle growth and aids in recovery from any pain you may be experiencing.
- Increases muscle productivity by warming your muscles via compression
- Prevents injuries related to arthritis, tendonitis, patella alignment, meniscus tears, bursitis, and more
- Made with high quality, ultra breathable, durable materials that will not irritate your skin
- Reported slippage
Shock Doctor Open Patella Knee Compression Sleeve
The Shock Doctor Open Patella Compression Sleeve anatomical pre-curved knee compression sleeve allows you to experience free range of motion via open patella coverage, which stays in place while a window of breathable mesh increases breathability and raises comfort levels. Contains N-TexTM for moisture wicking, therapeutic warmth, and healing. Provides light support for minor pains, allowing for daily use for an extended period of time.
- Pre-curved design in collaboration with compression allows for instant relief by way of increasing blood flow, which lowers swelling
- Material is extremely breathable, lightweight, and latex-free, including N-TexTM for moisture wicking therapeutic warmth and healing
- 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with this product
- Sizing can be tricky with this product
DonJoy Performance Open Patella Knee Sleeve
This DonJoy Performance Knee Sleeve product prides itself in fit and function. It implements an asymmetrical hem line that allows for uncompromised comfort, a tailored fit, and free range of motion. Material is lightweight, combining neoprene for thermal compression and lycra for reduced weight. Product also utilizes anti-mitigation technology, which helps to keep it in place and eliminate slippage. Two designs are available – 2mm, which is a closed patella design, and 4mm, which is an open patella design.
- Universal fit allows the product to be worn on either the left or right leg
- Contains a stash pocket to hold credit cards, cash, and/or keys
- Designed for enhanced visibility in low light conditions
- Sizing can be tricky
Mueller Sports Medicine Open Patella Knee Sleeve
The Mueller Sports Medicine Open Patella Knee Sleeve product aims to help support sore, weak, injured, or arthritic knees. It improves circulation, thus assisting the healing process and increasing joint flexibility. The material in this product is a neoprene blend, which provides even compression and soothing warmth.
- Easy fit – slides off and on
- Can fit either left or right knee due to contoured shape
- Provides even compression and soothing warmth
- Comes in one size – 14” – 16”
BodyProx Open Patella Knee Sleeve
The BodyProx Open Patella Knee Sleeve product is engineered with a breathable, sweat-absorbing material that eliminates the possibility of skin rash and allergy irritation while preventing/protecting injuries by way of compression support. This is an open patella design, which helps lessen the pressure on injuries.
- Includes patella gel pads, which increases kneecap comfort during motion
- Flexible stabiliser springs that hold your knee in place to reduce stress and relieve pressure
- Ability to adjust to your desired tightness for optimal comfort via a velcro strap
- Straps do not do their job and create excess bulk
Alpha Genial Open Patella Knee Sleeve
The Alpha Genial Knee Sleeve product utilizes a breathable, elastic perforated material that will displace pressure on the knee cap, regulates blood flow, and provides stability and support to prevent injury. This open patella knee compression sleeve also aids in accelerated recovery post-injury and post-operation. This product utilizes dual-side stabilizers, providing lateral support while supporting full range of motion. Also features a circular silicone pad in the inner layer of the brace, delivering cushion to the patella, tendons, and surrounding muscles.
- Ideal for professions that require long periods of standing post-injury and post-operation
- Utilizes two velcro straps for optimal adjustment and slippage prevention
- 12-month guarantee – you will receive 100% of your cash back upon dissatisfaction
- Only available in one size
When your knee causes you pain and discomfort, it is important to take measures of self-care so that you can still care for yourself in other ways, specifically with staying active. The best way you can do this is finding the correct knee compression sleeve for you and your needs, whether that be an open patella sleeve or a Closed Patella sleeve.
Other Great Rehab Related Articles
Disclaimer: The information provided in this post is for educational purposes only. This is not a substitute for a medical appointment. Please refer to your physician before starting any exercise program.