The Best Brace for Sever’s Disease
Sever’s Disease is a common injury in adolescents and kids as they start to mature. The pain is located in the heel or the Achilles Tendon region and will limit activity and play in most kids. The use of a brace for Sever’s Disease can help when it comes to lessening the pain, increasing activity, and speed up healing.
What is Sever’s Disease?
Sever’s disease is a bit of a misnomer. Also called Calcaneal Apophysitis, it is not really a disease but instead a pain caused by inflammation and traction of the heel’s growth plate. It primarily affects adolescents between the ages of 8 and 15. The pain will present in the heel and is caused by consistent repetitive stress and pulling on the heel through the very strong Achilles tendon. This stress on the heel, most common during growth spurts, is focused on the growth plate. This causes pain, inflammation, and a potential bony bump on the area affected on the growth plate.
Symptoms of Sever’s Disease
Kids that participate in sports that involve running and jumping are much more inclined to get Sever’s disease. Some of the common symptoms to look for in Sever’s Disease are:
- Pain that is made worse with running, jumping, and other quick athletic movements
- It is not uncommon to have symptoms in both feet but one heel may be worse
- Heel pain and tenderness underneath the heel to the touch
- Mild swelling at the heel with accompanied redness
- Difficulty wearing shoes with hard heel cups
- Improvement with rest and change in activity
How Long Does Sever’s Disease Last?
The pain inflicted by Sever’s disease is dependent on how active the child is. Children that do not engage in sporting activities may not experience it as long and symptoms may go away quickly on their own. Sever’s Disease can last for an average of 2-8 weeks. Based on the severity and if no treatment was utilized, it may consecutively reappear as the child continues through their growth spurt. Once a child fully matures and the growth plate fuses, there is no longer a risk for Sever’s Disease.
Preventing a Recurrence of Sever’s disease
Once Sever’s Disease is beginning to feel normal it’s important to take the proper steps to prevent a recurrence. Here are some of the necessary steps to prevent it from coming back.
Shoes For Sever’s Disease:
Wearing high-quality shoes with adequate arch and heel support are important. The shoes should provide enough cushion and support to lighten the tension on the Achilles Tendon, the Plantar Fascia, and also prevent rubbing on the growth plate.
Try to avoid wearing smaller shoes, shoes with high heels, or shoes that are excessively heavy. Sandals or shoes such as Sanuks with open backs may be more comfortable for a period of time to prevent rubbing and irritation on the back of the heel.
Other important preventive measures to prevent a recurrence include:
- Avoid high impact activity such as running or jumping on hard surfaces while still in the painful. Start on softer surfaces such as grass when the pain has subsided
- Stretching the back of the leg including the calf and bottom of the heel
- Using pain management such as ice or heat on the heel as activity increases
- Avoid returning to activity too fast. This includes being aware of repetitive activities such as running or jumping
How Can Bracing Help with Sever’s Disease?
Bracing or heel cups can provide support and some cushioning effect to the heel. This is, in turn, decreases the tension on the growth plate. This time period of reduced tension will decrease pain, inflammation, and allow for normal healing without bony growth abnormality.
Bracing or orthotic heel cups are usually only needed for a short period of time when symptoms are at their worst. These can also help provide relief until the growth plate full matures and closes.
The Best Braces for Sever’s Disease
Neo G Ankle Brace for Kids
The Neo G Ankle Brace is specifically designed for kids feet and kids sizes. What we really love about this brace is the adjustable straps that cross around the back. These can be cinched down as tight as you need to get pressure relief on the Achilles insertion. This brace is great for any sporting activity and holds up well to high impact sports. It can fit a left or right foot and can help with any other foot injuries.
- Great figure 8 Adjustable straps
- Provides support to the ankle and other foot structures
- Optimal sizing for kids and early teens
- Perfect for athletes and active kids
- Early maturing kids may size out of this brace
The Original X Brace
The Original X Brace is a one-size fit all brace for Sever’s Disease and other orthopedic foot conditions. This brace is designed to be comfortable to wear with shoes and can even be worn without shoes. The design is simple and easy to use making it user-friendly to kids in their early teenage years. The “X” pattern on the backside of the heel provides pressure relief and reduces tension on the Achilles Tendon.
- Easy to use for any kids
- Comfortable to be worn with or without shoes
- Provides pressure relief on the heel insertion
- The material can cause rubbing on some heels if fit isn’t right – make sure to properly size
Tuli’s Cheetah Heel Cup
The Tuli’s Cheetah Heel Cup is the favorite for Sever’s Disease due to the combination of shock-absorbing features of the heel cups and the lightweight ankle support provided. The braces can slip on and stay in place without the need for constant repositioning. The high-quality neoprene provides great compression, breathability, and support. This also comes with a 1 year made in the USA warranty.
- Comfortable for the feet
- Reports of a good fit for most customers
- Good for athletes and active people
- Cool design that kids will want to wear
- The material may wear if worn outside without shoes
Tuli’s Heavy Duty Heel Cups
The Tuli’s Heavy Duty Heel Cups is designed to fit both children and adults. These heel cups work by providing excellent cushioning and elevate the heel and reducing the force on the Achilles. The Tuli heel cups can transfer from shoe to shoe and may also help with other ailments. They are lightweight, easy to use and come with a lifetime warranty.
- Provides great support and cushioning on the heel
- Comes in adult sizes for larger kids feet
- Easy to transfer between shoes
- Elevates the heel and reduces tension on the Achilles
- Getting correct size is reported as a complaint for some
Gonicc Professional Foot Sleeve
The Gonicc Professional Foot Sleeve is a great compression sleeve alternative to the heel cup option. Compression often gives pain relief due to nerve inhibition and reduced swelling. The nylon material is soft, lightweight, and very comfortable to wear as compared to most braces. This brace also comes with a lifetime guarantee that makes it perfect brace to try with little risk for most foot problems.
- Soft compression nylon material
- Elegantly and greatly designed for pain relief
- More affordable options for heel pain
- Get the correct size!
BodyProx Ankle Support Brace
The BodyProx Ankle and Heel Support is another brace that is recommended for any heel or ankle issue in adolescents. It is one size that can fit on either foot up to 11″ in foot arch circumference. The Bodyprox stabilizes the heel and ankles bones to protect the ankle and to help heel Sever’s Disease. One great option is that this brace can grow with the foot during puberty until the growth plates close. As always we also love the 100% guarantee and warranty.
- Wide range of motion
- Easy to wrap
- Comfortable to wear
- Watch out for certain shoes putting pressure on the straps
Sever’s Disease can be a painful and limiting injury. With time and proper bracing the pain from Sever’s can be diminished and manageable for the duration of the healing process.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this post is for educational purposes only. This is not a substitute for a medical appointment. Please refer to your physician before starting any exercise program.